The word chemical has such a bad reputation.
Nowadays, if you see something that has the word “chemical” in its name, you stay as far away as possible to protect you and your loved ones from harmful toxins and unnatural substances.
But what if we told you chemicals aren’t always bad? What if we told you we even recommend putting chemicals on your face? We actually do this every day at our office—it’s called a chemical peel.
What is a chemical peel and how can it help the appearance of my skin?
A chemical peel is a technique used to improve the appearance of skin on the face, neck, or hands by removing damaged outer layers. Peels can correct skin imperfections (acne scars, crow’s feet, sun damage, wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, melasma, etc.), promote healthy skin, and make you look and feel years younger.
How does it work?
We apply a chemical solution to the skin, which causes it to exfoliate and eventually peel off. The new skin underneath is smoother, brighter and more refreshed than the previous layer, but also more sensitive to sun, so make sure you wear sunscreen and reapply throughout the day. The deeper the peel, the more effect it has on your skin.
Will it hurt?
Most chemical peels sting, but do not hurt.
When can I expect to see results?
This all depends on the type of peel. The gentler the peel, the less time it takes to recover. Gentle peels can take anywhere from one to seven days to heal, while deeper peels can take anywhere from 14 to 21 days to heal. Some types of peels require three to five cycles before seeing results. Again, the new skin left after any type of peel is extremely sensitive to sun, so limit sun exposure and wear sunscreen daily, reapplying throughout the day.
Can I do this at home?
Absolutely not. Peels should only be done by a professionally trained esthetician or dermatologist. If done incorrectly, chemical peels can cause severe and irreparable scarring and/or infection. A professionally trained esthetician or dermatologist will also provide you with important information and steps to care for your skin before and after your peel.
At Pure Dermatology, we offer a variety of gentle to medium peels:
- The SkinMedica Illuminize Peel will brighten your complexion with minimal downtime. This peel is appropriate for patients with mild skin imperfections.
- The SkinMedica Vitalize Peel will help smooth fine lines, improve skin tone and skin texture. This peel is appropriate for patients with mild to moderate skin imperfections.
- The SkinMedica Rejuvenize Peel will exfoliate the uppermost damaged layers of the skin, revealing a healthy and fresh glow.
- The Glycolic Peel will gently exfoliate and improve fine lines and wrinkles.
- This Glycolic Peel 20% Plus Solution is ideal for anyone wanting to reduce acne and prevent future breakouts and improve the appearance of skin discoloration.
- The Pigment Balancing Peel is designed for patients who want to brighten skin, fade dark spots, improve skin tone, and diminish fine lines.
- The Advanced Corrective Peel is a clinical-grade peel with a concentrated blend of salicylic and lactic acid with resorcinol to refine and reduce hyperpigmentation associated with photoaging, hormones, and post-inflammatory pigmentation.
Not sure which peel is right for you? Our professionally trained esthetician will help you choose the peel that will give you the results you want.
Ready to schedule your peel?
Fill out the form below to download a coupon for 20% off your first peel. Book online or give call us a call to set up your appointment (required) and present the coupon upon arrival.
*If on mobile or tablet, hold your finger down on the screen to save your coupon to your photos.